What is Bikram Yoga
Bikram Yoga offers a total body workout for people of all ages and fitness levels. Designed to build strength, flexibility, balance and mental focus, this yoga systematically stimulates and restores health to every muscle, joint and organ of the body.
Each class lasts 90 minutes and consists of 26 postures practiced in a heated room, promoting detoxification and allowing the muscles to stretch more easily. A regular practice results in weight loss, stress relief and the rehabilitation and prevention of injuries. Come experience the yoga that is changing people’s lives!
Bikram Yoga is for Everyone
Bikram designed this class for beginners – for people of all ages and fitness levels. The majority of students who begin Bikram Yoga have never practiced yoga before. Don’t feel like you need to be ‘in shape’ or flexible before you start. Again, it’s for beginners! If you feel nervous or a little intimidated, you’re in good company. Most people feel this way initially. But don’t worry, after only a few classes, you’ll feel right at home here. As Bikram says, it’s never too late, you’re never too sick, to start from scratch and begin again.
In one 90-minute Bikram Yoga class, you will work every muscle, tendon, joint, ligament, internal organ and gland while systematically moving fresh oxygenated blood to every part of the body. As a result, all systems of the body are restored and rejuvenated. Bikram Yoga is designed as a daily practice.
The more consistent your practice, the quicker you will see the amazing benefits of this practice:
- Weight loss
- Reduced stress
- Better endurance and more energy
- Improved immunity
- A stronger heart
- Expanded lung capacity
- Relief of chronic pain
- Toned muscles
- Prevention and rehabilitation of injuries
- Increased balance, strength and flexibility
- Increased willpower and mental strength
Why the Heat?
- Heat warms the muscles, allowing for deeper stretching without injury. It is also much easier to correct misalignments in the body if it is warm and flexible. Bikram likens the body to steel: you can’t bend it unless it is hot.
- Warm muscles burn fat more efficiently
- The heat and the intensity of the postures promote sweating. As a result, your body undergoes an incredible detoxification, releasing toxins and impurities from the body through the largest eliminative organ you have- your skin
- Heat causes the capillaries to dilate, increasing oxygen flow to cells and promoting waste removal
- Practicing in a heated room increases the heart rate for a better cardiovascular workout